Having made a knife from a saw with your own hands, you can get at your disposal a cutting device, which has much better performance than factory analogues. Making a knife with their own hands, they give it exactly the form that suits the master most of all. Factory knives are beautiful, but not always reliable. There is no guarantee that they will not fail at the most crucial moment.
A homemade knife made of a disk, a hacksaw for wood or a saw for metal will last for many years, regardless of the conditions of storage and use. Consider how to make a knife from metal parts of factory production, what is needed for this and what should be paid special attention to.
Tools and materialsTools
The raw material for making a homemade knife can be any new or old cutting part made of hardened steel. As a workpiece, it is better to use metal cutting blades, hand and pendulum saw blades. A good option is an old chainsaw. From its chain, you can forge and carve a blade that is not inferior in quality and appearance to the famous Damascus steel.
In order to make a knife with your own hands, you will need such equipment and materials:
- electric drill;
- whetstones for sharpening;
- epoxy adhesive;
- copper wire;
- bucket with water.
Separately, you need to think about the issue with the handle. The finished product should lie comfortably in your hand.
To make a pen it is better to use:
- non-ferrous metal (copper, bronze, brass, silver);
- tree (oak, alder, birch);
- organic glass (plexiglass, polycarbonate).
Raw materials for the handle should be intact, without signs of cracks, rot and other defects.
Rules for working with metalWork with metal
In order for the blade to be strong and resilient, it is necessary to follow the rules of working with metal during its manufacturing. They are as follows:
- Workpieces must not have visible or hidden damage. Before making a knife, the workpiece must be inspected and knocked. The whole part sounds loudly, and the defective is muffled.
- When designing the shape of the blade, angles must be avoided. In such places, steel may break. All transitions should be smooth, without kinks. Slices of the butt, handle and fuse must be cut off at right angles.
- When cutting and sharpening, do not overheat steel. This leads to a decrease in its strength. An overheated blade becomes brittle or soft. During processing, the workpiece must be constantly cooled, completely immersing it in a bucket of cold water.
- When making a knife from a saw blade, you need to remember that this product has already passed the hardening cycle. Factory saws are designed to work with the hardest alloys. If you do not overheat the canvas during the process of turning and finishing, then you will not have to temper it.
The blade shank cannot be made too thin. It is this part of the product that will bear the greatest load.
Making a knife from the canvasKnife making
If the canvas is large and does not have much wear, then several blades of different purposes can be made from it. The effort and time are worth it.
A knife from a circular saw with his own hands is done in the following sequence:
- A pattern is applied to the canvas, the contours of the blade are outlined. Cores or dotted lines are applied on top of the marker. So the pattern will not be erased when cutting the workpiece and adjusting it to the desired shape.
- Billets are cut from a circular saw blade. To do this, it is better to use a grinder with a metal disc. A margin of 2 mm from the circuit should be left. This is necessary in order to remove the material burned by the grinder. If there is no grinder at hand, then you can grind the workpiece with a vise, hammer and chisel or a hacksaw for metal.
- On the grinder grinds all unnecessary. This process will have to spend a lot of time so as not to overheat the steel. To prevent this, the workpiece must be regularly lowered into the water until it cools completely.
- Outlined blade. Here you need to be careful to maintain the contour of the knife, not burn it and withstand an angle of 20º.
- All straight sections are aligned. This is convenient to do by applying the workpiece to the side of the grinding wheel. The transitions are rounded.
- The part is deburred. The blade is polished and polished. For this, several interchangeable wheels are used on the grinder.
We should also dwell on how the pen is made. If wood is used, then a monolithic fragment is taken, in which a longitudinal cut and through holes are made. After this, the disc is mounted on the blade, holes for fasteners are outlined in it. The handle is fixed on the blade with rivets or bolts with nuts. In the case of a bolted connection, the hardware caps are recessed in the wood and filled with epoxy glue.
When the handle is assembled from plastic, 2 pads are used, which should be symmetrical. To give the knife originality, plastic overlays are painted on the inside. In the overlays, you can make cavities filled with jewelry, articles made of non-ferrous and precious metals, small compasses and photographs.
After fastening to the blade, the handles are turned until they acquire the necessary shape and smoothness.
Chains from saws are made of high-quality alloy, which perfectly tolerates prolonged friction and high temperature. The manufacturing process of the blade is long and time-consuming, but the result is a beautiful, unique and very durable knife. To work, you need a heavy anvil, barbecue and charcoal. To make it easier to handle the hot workpiece, you need to purchase blacksmith's tongs.
The manufacture of a blade from a chain from a chainsaw should be carried out in the following sequence:
- Prepare clothing and gauze gloves and face shield. Pour charcoal into the hearth and set fire to it using a special liquid.
- Fold the blank from a single piece of chain. In the place where the handle will be, you can add several segments from the chain. It should be remembered that the result of the work should be a single monolithic product. Separately, the handle to the knife is not done.
- Put the workpiece on the coals. Provide air to increase temperature. Wait until the steel turns dark red. In this state, it becomes forged, without losing quality characteristics.
- Remove the red-hot chain from the fire and lay it on the anvil. With a few strong blows, flatten it so that the links fuse together, turning into a single monolithic part.
- Step by step, heating the workpiece in the furnace and giving it the desired shape with a hammer, forge a knife, which has a handle and a blade. After cooling the workpiece, sharpen and polish it.
- Harden the product. To do this, it needs to be red-hot again and lowered into cold water. After that, you can finish the knife. For this, acid and an engraving machine are used. The finished blade is polished again and washed in a warm soapy solution.