The arrival of winter with its subzero temperatures, piercing winds and prickly breezes does not at all mean that outings should be delayed until next summer. Of course, most people prefer to sit peacefully in warm apartments, but there are those who are not at all afraid of -20 on a thermometer. They are engaged in the preparation of winter fishing tackle, pick up warm clothes and shoes, and apply maximum ingenuity in such matters as tent warming. In their experience, this completely solvable problem should be considered.
Correct locationTent location in winter
Any experienced fisherman will tell you that to put up a tent on a pond in a place convenient for you where the shore or trees can be protected from the wind - this is not fishing - it's just a tourist trip. Fish is collected in places that are convenient to her. Of course, she takes into account climatic and relief features, but they often radically differ from our preferences. Therefore, lovers of winter fishing, developed some rules for the installation of the tent, which can be applied under other conditions.
The main source of cold in open space is by no means frost, but wind. You can protect yourself from frost by quality clothing. It’s much harder to hide from the wind. That is why the tent should be installed so that the entrance is on the leeward side, and in order not to blow, it is recommended to sprinkle the lower perimeter with snow.
Warming MethodsWinter tent warming with polyethylene
There can be several ways to warm the tent with your own hands. Some of them can be used in the complex, some exclude the rest. You can choose only a few times by trying, but we will try to carefully consider the most popular ones to make your choice easier.
- Winter tent insulation with polyethylene. The most affordable way to help protect yourself from rain and snow. However, he cannot save for a long time. Condensation will accumulate on the inside, and the material itself is quite light and it will be necessary to carefully fix it, at least with the help of clothespins, and this will greatly increase the time for setting up the tent.
- Double tent. Or an additional awning, which can be easily made from an old tent or sew a special cover, for example, from tarpaulin. This method is much more effective than warming with polyethylene, but requires additional preparation at home.
- Internal heaters. In specialized stores you can find a wide selection of isothermal insulation based on synthetic winterizer, silicone and the like. They are lined with a bilateral breathable fabric and perfectly protect against moisture. Their cost, of course, is pretty decent, but they give a solid guarantee of heat. There is also a more budget option: a heat reflector on the foil, fixed on the inner walls with clamps. You will have to tinker with it in the cold, but the heat from the heater will linger inside the tent for much longer.
- Insulated floors. The main source of cold inside the tent is frozen ground, snow or ice if you are fishing. The easiest solution to clipping this source will be the use of tourist rugs. They are made of special porous material and are designed specifically for this purpose. But it should be borne in mind that after some time they will begin to let heat down, which can lead to melting ice or snow and the formation of an elementary puddle right in the middle of the tent.
The listed methods, alone or in combination, will help to keep warm in the tent for some time and they are used everywhere, especially if the nature is planned for only a few hours. However, to spend the night in a pond or in a winter forest, this is often not enough.
Forced heatingParaffin candles
The most effective way to warm the winter tent is to use simple or complex heating appliances or objects.
- The most affordable in this regard can be called ordinary paraffin candles. With a not too high minus temperature, they will quite cope with this task, especially if you place a candle in a flask from a thermos. This achieves two goals at once. Firstly, safety increases significantly, because even by negligence overturning such a source of heat, you will not set fire to anything. Secondly, the flask itself warms up from the fire of a candle and begins to radiate heat intensely.
- In second place is an old, proven method of heating a tent with a hot stone. True, one will have to find this very stone, which is somewhat difficult to do in winter. Then make a fire, warm the stone in a living flame and bring it into the tent. So that he does not burn the floor and does not melt the ice on the floor, you can put it in a metal pot, which, by the way, will increase the operating time of such a “heater”, or wrap it with several layers of foil.
- Gas heater. A special compact device operating on liquefied gas, invented as an on purpose for tourists, fishermen and other outdoor enthusiasts. It can be of two types depending on the nozzle:
- With a metal nozzle.
- With ceramic nozzle.
- Gas heater. There are compact and inexpensive models. Unlike gas, they are even more unpretentious, but fire hazard increases significantly. Requires increased attention and caution.
- And, of course, a wood-burning stove. Not too convenient for transportation. Of all the above options, heating a winter tent with a compact stove can be called the most ideal.
No need to be afraid of frosts and hide your noses behind a double glazed window and an insulated safe door. A winter trip to the bosom of nature, if you are well prepared for it, will give you indescribable pleasure, give you a huge charge of vivacity and cheer you up for a day or two.